Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: some ideas, roadmap cleanup, and ugly jokes..

From: Carlos Perez <carlos_perez () darkoperator com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:33:43 -0400

Thanks for pointing out those tickets that where left open. some things to consider:

1. The use of any system executable will increase the number of artifacts left by your presence in it, specially in the
registry, prefetch ...etc
2. if Monitoring system is present even do you rename the files it will be sent to the monitoring system like Event
Collector in 2k8, WMI, SNMP ..etc you will have to take in to account that.
3. Depending on the system you will require to first get the right privs, this venture might trigger HIPS, AV ..etc by
it self.
4. Each AV, HIPS vendor out there have their own protection methods, there is not a a one size fits all approach to
disable this countermeasures, you will have to install each in a lab and work a process for each one.
5. The use of Railgun will be a better approach since it does not interact with executables or writes to disk and only
the DLL MACE is changed but this MACE is already changed by IR tools when they collect their volatile data off the
system.
6. a good IR guy will notice the gap in time since windows just by running it is generating logs, not all logs are
there.

Just a couple of observations for your project.

Cheers,
Carlos