Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Meterpreter unexpectedly closes

From: Carlos Perez <carlos_perez () darkoperator com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:49:34 -0400

Miguel

Do send me the output of what your getting and the command it self and I will take a look

Cheers,
Carlos

On Jul 10, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Miguel Rios wrote
Thanks. That explains it perfectly. For some reason I thought that meterpreter would continuously try to connect
back. Now I know I was wrong. I had tried the loop option with VBS but the problem is that my custom script is
designed to delete itself after running the meterpreter binary, so it obviously won't be there to respawn
meterpreter. A bit of a catch 22.

Thinking out loud, I could either schedule it to start every x minutes (but you need to be admin to use the 'at' and
'schtasks' I believe) or have it auto run at startup through the registry and have a listener permanently set up on
the internet listening and ready to run a bunch of scripts like scraper, etc (by the way, any literature out there on
setting up just meterpreter listeners and scripts on a webserver or do I have to set up the full MSF on the server?).

Thanks also to 5.K1dd for responding but Alex cleared it up perfectly. It wasn't a question of the exploited process
dying since it's a standalone meterpreter binary I'm playing with.

Curious to see if there is any news or development regarding the all_ports possibility for this payload, like with
reverse_tcp. That would be super stealth and highly effective at egressing the most restrictive networks.

P.S. off topic here but I'm also having trouble with the uploadexec script. I manage to upload my notepad.exe binary
to %temp% but it doesn't execute and the script spits out some error message about wrong count (4 of 1 or something
like that) or missing argument. Does this have something to do with the -o switch? Is it mandatory? I just want my
binary to be silently executed but I must be missing something stupidly obvious. Time to sleep maybe.