Metasploit mailing list archives

having a problem running udp_sweep module

From: Jason Ross <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:51:21 -0500

Hi,
I'm getting the following error when running
modules/auxiliary/scanner/discovery/udp_sweep.rb :
====
msf auxiliary(udp_sweep) > run

[*] Sending 10 probes to 10.0.1.0->10.0.1.255 (256 hosts)
[*] Unknown error: Errno::EINVAL Invalid argument - bind(2)
[*] Scanned 256 of 256 hosts (100% complete)
[*] Auxiliary module execution completed
====

I've got the following options set up:
====
msf auxiliary(udp_sweep) > show options

Module options:

   Name       Current Setting  Required  Description
   ----       ---------------  --------  -----------
   BATCHSIZE  256              yes       The number of hosts to probe
in each set
   CHOST      10.0.1.51        no        The local client address
   RHOSTS     10.0.1.0/24      yes       The target address range or
CIDR identifier
   THREADS    20               yes       The number of concurrent threads
   VERBOSE    false            no        Enable verbose output
====

I'm pretty sure the error is thrown from the socket bind on line 80:

   udp_sock = Rex::Socket::Udp.create( { 'LocalHost' =>
datastore['CHOST'] || nil } )

If I 'unset CHOST' the run works just fine, so this only appears to happen
when a value is present for the CHOST option.

My ruby foo is too weak to track down what the specific issue is quickly, but
I'm still playing ;-)

(If it's helpful, I'm running metasploit as root on Ubuntu 9.10 x86)

--
jason