Metasploit mailing list archives

No room for shellcode

From: allendb760 at googlemail.com (DB Allen)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 19:19:44 +0100

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated - I'll try adjusting ESP and see
if that helps any - will also give the EggHunter method a go too, not tried
that before.

Out of interest, has anyone ever seen an overflow fail when changing
shellcode. As in the buffer overflow doesn't even occur..

I thought there may be a bad character in the shellcode, which was why it
was not landing up in the stack properly, so generated new shellcode set to
exclude the byte I thought could be causing problems, and the overflow
didn't even occur, was sending exactly the same data for the initial buffer,
just different shellcode... It's irritated the hell outta me!

Thanks,

DB