Metasploit mailing list archives

Pen-Testing and Metasploit Question

From: mtgarden at gmail.com (Matt Gardenghi)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:09:39 -0400

You asked the wrong question....  Now you will get everyone answering
what "they personally" consider to be the most important skill sets.
Companies often don't know what they want.  They are simply required to
have a pen test (or it sounds cool).  So, a good pen tester finds out
what the company wants and meets that need in a manner that is efficient
and reasonably thorough.

For starters, a pen tester should be able to use the standard tools and
understand the output.  These tools would be vulnerability scanners
(network and web), exploitation frameworks, general port scanners, and
the ability to use the CLI on a variety of OSes.  Anyone can run a tool
or exploit, but being able to interpret the output, determine false
positives and false negatives, and further prod the systems is critical.

Secondly, a pen tester should have a good understanding of methodologies
so holes aren't overlooked.

Thirdly, a pen tester should be able to write a good report.  The report
is the most important piece.  A customer should be able to take that
report and make pertinent changes to tighten up their infrastructure.
If there aren't reasonable actionable elements, they didn't get their
money's worth.

At the end of the day, the report is the most important part.  What
exact skills you need depends on what your are testing.  Some people
specialize, some do a general checkup on the network but all bill
themselves as a pen tester.  Just don't claim to be a pen tester if all
you do is run a vulnerability scanner and db-autopwn and then spit out
the results.  Write, write, write.  Consolidate the information.  Give
them the raw data if they want it, but also summarize and make
reasonable recommendations.

That should be a start to answering your question.

Matt Gardenghi

pandini pandini wrote:
 I'm in the same boat that professor, trying to get into pentest
industry but I don't know "where to start". I agree with what max
said, imho methodology is the center of the thing, know how and why,
is really better than know "where to click" or what command to run.

 My questions are, "What the industry expect from a pentester" (audit
database, software source code, networks, servers , etc..), "What is
generally done in a basic pentest", and what certifications are "good"
to proof some basic knowledge. Just say to a company that "I'm able to
do a pentest, can you give me a change ?" will don't work.

 I think that I need some formal proof of knowledge, as I haven't any
professinal experience in pentest, this is the only one way that I
see.

 Thanks in advance,
 Pandini.