Metasploit mailing list archives

Pen-Testing and Metasploit Question

From: wullie19 at ntlworld.com (rogue)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:59:50 +0100

Hi there,

Good luck with that Its got to be one of the most high skilled under payed
jobs there is. There's a mailing list called security basics, its a high
volume list that's perfect for people just getting into it like yourself as it
covers all kind of info not just exploits. No offence but anybody can download
the framework exploit a VM and call themselves a pentester. sort of like
renting an office buying a stethoscope and calling your self a surgeon

-rogue.

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to officially break into the Penetration Testing/Ethical
Hacking/Information Security sector within the next couple of years. I was
wondering if just having the Metasploit Framework for exploitation would be
enough in a Pen Testing situation - along with Port Scanners, Vulnerability
Scanners, and Back-Track of course. :)

The reason I ask is that Metasploit doesn't cover every single remote
exploit, and to compile an exploit off places such as Milw0rm can be time
consuming and inefficient in a Pen testing situation. Especially if the
source code is broken and needs tweaking/rewriting to compile properly.

Thanks. :)

Professor 0110