Metasploit mailing list archives

Correct Ruby Installation?

From: metafan at intern0t.net (MaXe)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:17:24 +0200

Hello there,

Yesterday i installed Metasploit (and Ruby of course) on my laptop by
using the guide on your website.
Then i ran msfconsole and received the information about the ruby bug.
(ruby 1.8.6 patch 287 i think..)
I use Fedora Core 10, and this is the command line i first issued:

yum install ruby ruby-irb ruby-libs ruby-rdoc ruby-devel readline rubygems

Then i issued:

gem install -v=1.2.2 rails

And all went smooth BUT the version that my repository has is bugged! So
i built the latest stable snapshot
instead which also went smooth. Though since i had removed all which i
had installed via the yum install
i saw i had to reinstall the above again, so i took a look at a yum
install (didn't accept) and it says it has to
install Ruby as well if i want to install rubygems etc?

I know this is quite a noob question, but can anyone guide me in the
right direction?

Basically i want to know, when i compile Ruby, is it only Ruby i get or
do i have support for irb, libs, rdoc? (Not sure if i have to get "devel")
I have also tried installing ruby gems, well actually building it from
source which didn't worked in first place, perhaps i forgot to sudo. Not
sure :-)

Anyways thanks in advance, i am a bit lost at the moment. Perhaps using
the unstable repositories might help?

Best Regards,
MaXe