Metasploit mailing list archives

possible bug in msfpayload create windows exe in current svn shot

From: security at vahle.de (Thomas Werth)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:43:01 +0100

H D Moore schrieb:
On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Thomas Werth wrote:
well it seems things depend on data execution prevention of windows XP.
Turned it off for generated Payloads at least bind payload opens
shellport. Is there a Payload which will work with dep enabled ?

Those executables should work with DEP - thats what the VirtualProtect is
supposed to fix.

I've retestet and under win xp sp 2 german using dep none of the
executables work. No network traffic is generated, seems like payload
won't be executed. Even Special DEP ones won't work. When creating a dep
exception for payload executables then those work fine and exploit works.

I remember staged payloads won't run as standalone executables, right ?

Staged payloads work fine as executables, you just have to handle the
staging once connected (using exploit/multi/handler).

right, tested that and it works all like charme ( when deactivating dep ).

-HD