Metasploit mailing list archives

solaris/samba/trans2open -- Exploit failed: A target has not been selected.

From: mail2arthur at gmail.com (arthur)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:51:21 -0400

Looks like you're trying to use the sadmind exploit in this email,
where as you were trying the samba exploit originally...

The "Exploit failed" error is when an exception occurs in the exploit
code. In this instance the host is not running RPC, so the exploit
module cannot continue.

The samba exploit worked correctly (do a tcpdump), but the host is
either not vulnerable, the return address is incorrect or perhaps
another network issue.
Sometimes module developers will print "Exploit sent" or similar after
sending the payload.. but many often print nothing, hence you see
nothing. The msf> prompt should return, waiting for further input.
-Patrick

Thanks Patrick. Actally the Samba isn't running at all. Being part of a
silly(fully autoscan) pentest, I was scanning our Solaris10 server with all
solaris exploits (even for solaris 8/9) with msfcli and get the output of
'failed...' as report. :-)

Arthur