Metasploit mailing list archives

cmd.exe will not spawn a shell

From: null at klin.org (null)
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:17:29 +0200

IIRC, calling directly cmd.exe with win32_exec payload in some Metasploit
Framework 2 modules (i.e. ie_xp_pfv_metafile) didn't work. When setting CMD
string to "start cmd /k" command prompt window popped-up.

I suppose it has something to do with CreateProcess() and hidden window(s). Is
only cmd.exe affected or any Win32 executable in general (i.e. calc.exe)?

Cheers,
/null

H D Moore <hdm at metasploit.com> said:

How are you calling cmd.exe? Do you mean the windows/shell payloads?