Metasploit mailing list archives

A Wee Bit of Help

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:30:33 -0500

This exception indicates that you control a pointer that is being
dereferenced and compared with zero. This is not exploitable for anything
other than a denial of a service. By placing a valid value into the EAX
register, you prevent the process from crashing, but you have no control
over execution. There may be another way to trigger code execution, but
changing the value of EAX to be a valid address is probably not it.

Something you might want to try is making EAX point to DWORD with the
value 0 (ie. 4 NULL bytes). This may change the logic of the application
and continue on to an exploitable exception.

-HD
.