Metasploit mailing list archives

Error: Could not start listener: Permission denied

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:54:45 -0500

What exploit and payload are you using? Try changing the
LHOST/LPORT/HTTPORT options to non-default values. Please provide the
output of "set" as well.

-HD

On Saturday 26 August 2006 15:50, Steve Coward wrote:
Hi,

Up to this point I've had no problems in using/updating Metasploit.
However, I downloaded both the current snapshot and the 2.6 version,
extracted, and attempted to use several of the modules, and when I use
it to exploit, it returns this error:

"Error: Could not start listener: Permission denied"

My system is:
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper (x86)

I thought that I had all of the folder/binary permissions correct (at
least so it seems), but maybe not? Has anyone else encountered this
issue as well? If someone could help me out with what I might need to
do in order to correct this problem, that would be great! Thanks so
much..

Steve