Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: what cause this error??

From: n4net_spy at yahoo.com (net spy)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:47:10 +0100 (BST)

Hi

    thank Rhys.Ive tried terminal service by using tsgrinder-2.03  which is realy a go0d tool but im facing some sort
of porblem to  bruteforce the password.i sucessfuly got the remote login screen but  failed to get password.might caz
of shot list of password file any  other idea.since i tried dictionary attack to brutforce the password.i  will be
glade for ur kind response.

   Regards
     Net_Spy

Rhys Kidd <rhyskidd at gmail.com> wrote:              v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:*
{behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                              Net Spy,

    Metasploit isn?t really designed to  scan a system for vulnerabilities in its currently released versions. It might
 be best to look at a tool such as Nessus to do the scanning of open ports to  see if vulnerabilities lie or grab the
banners and compare to OSVDB or Secunia,  and then go about using Metasploit to confirm a risk exists.

    Although, if you?re really doing an  authorised pen-test, I?d probably focus on RDP (TCP/3389) to see if you  can
bruteforce usernames/passwords first. IIS6.0 is comparatively secure these  days to the old IIS versions.

    Maybe have a read up on web application  attacks too.

    Please research the bugs before posting,  not much reason to point-and-sploit LSASS overflows if the system is
patched.