Metasploit mailing list archives

Payload Handler issues in MSF 3.0-r3

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:42:28 -0500

The stable tree (2.x) behaves the same way. The alternative would require
every exploit to explicitly start the payload handler, which IMO is more
boilerplate and not very useful in the long run. Most exploits have a
very small time window between the initial exploit launch and when the
payload has been injected. I agree that with some exploits, such as
netvault, this can seem a bit silly, since the payload handler starts
running way before the exploit could have possibly finished. If the
behavior bothers you, just switch to a handler that doesn't generate
traffic (any of the *reverse* payloads for instance).

-HD