Metasploit mailing list archives

PassiveX DLL restrictions

From: benheinkel at securitynerds.org (Ben Heinkel)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:11:56 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the response. Using IE 6.0.2 on XP SP2, going to try
connecting
from a few other systems this afternoon. Have used default settings for
passivex payload, except for hostname which was required.

Any ideas what could be going wrong ?

Nothing jumps out at me.  The best thing to do would be to launch the
exploit and check to see what the following registry values are set to:

Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3
Values: 1004, 1200, 1201, 1001

If I recall correctly, they should all be set to zero.  If they are not
being set to zero, then that would explain why it's failing in the way
that it is.  Let us know what the values are set to if they are
non-zero.

They are all set to zero. Will try from several other XP SP2 boxes in the
next couple of days to see if its maybe just a unique issue with this
machine.

Thanks.