Metasploit mailing list archives

Metasploit Framework Usage Stats

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:33:32 -0500

A few people have been asking for some usage statistics. The only way we
can track active users is via the 'msfupdate' server logs, which contain
the IP address, framework version, and in newer versions, the operating
system name. After looking at just the unique IP addresses running
2.4-current and using msfupdate (~6000 addresses), we found that:

About 4400 sites are running version 2.4 on the Windows platform.
About 1600 sites are running version 2.4 on the Linux platform.
About 70 sites are running version 2.4 on the MacOS X platform.
About 55 sites are running version 2.4 on the FreeBSD platform.
About 20 sites are running version 2.4 on the OpenBSD platform.
Exactly 2 sites are running version 2.4 on the NetBSD platform.
Exactly 2 sites are running versino 2.4 on the Solaris platform.
Exactly 1 user figured out how to hide his OS information via -O.

These stats are from May 11th 2005 onward and do not take into account the
drop in traffic from the CA certificate bungle...

Around 30,000 unique sites have used msfupdate in the last year.
The metasploit.com server has transfered 1.15TB of data in the last year.
In the month of June, win32 downloads of v2.4 used up 72GB of traffic.

See everyone in Vegas :-)

-HD