Metasploit mailing list archives

Additional Logging Patch

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:07:30 -0600

Hi Chuck,

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 05:06:08PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
- Console start and stop is logged.  On start, hostname and username is logged.
- Exploit attempts and checks have more info logged (including hosts,
ports, payload, and target)
- Filename for session logs has been changed from using "unix time" to
using a date format of yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.
- msflogdump program updated to display the administrative information
that appears at the top of session logs and also to display timestamps
on the session information

   As before, no logging is enable by default, you have to turn the
logging on using
"setg Logging on" in the console.

   I have tried to make the code in this patch work on Unix and
Windows, but I haven't tested it on Windows so I hope that it works.
The code may be a little rough but it seems to work in my testing so I
figured I would go ahead and put it out for others to use and
hopefully build on.  If anyone else has done anything similar to (or
better than) this please let me know.

Thanks for the patch!  We will definitely try to integrate it in a
future release as the changes you've made seem like good overall
improvements for logging.  In fact, we're glad to hear that logging is
actually being used :)