Metasploit mailing list archives

slowly beginning to understand

From: neil-on-metasploit at restricted.dyndns.org (Neil)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:16:26 -0500

Hey guys,

I read the articles sent to me earlier. I am beginning to understand how a
network daemon can be exploited. Like in the example mem.c, there was a
declaration on a variable that was statically allocated with a 64 byte char
or int. I couldn't remeber. So if we actually send more than 64 byte, the
daemon experiences segmentation fault. So in that article, it used gdb to
step to each instruction. This is however in the opensource world. What if
we were trying to reverse engineer a Microsoft or commercial binary network
service/daemon, what is the tool to use?

Going back to gdb, what should we look for that identifies that a variable
was set with a fixed memory allocation?

Thanks guys.

neil