Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: usefulness of this tool

From: lists at syn-recon.net (lists at syn-recon.net)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:16:24 -0500

You might wanna check out The Art Of Exploitation from nostarch press
(http://nostarch.com/).  It does a good job of explaining (with code
examples) the basics and concepts of the different exploit types (stack
based overflows, how to inject your shell code, returning into glibc
etc).  You might wanna skim through it first though, its abit
dissapointing if your looking for more advanced stuff.

Florian

Neil wrote:
Great! I will.
Also, I don't want to become like a script kiddie. I have read some
people's
post in this mailing list that talks about reading registers, stacks. I
also
want to be like them. I know this requires knowledge in assembly. But I
would like to know how you guys find what area in the stack to put the
exploit? Is gdb the tool for this? And I had been asking myself how one is
able to create an exploit. Do you have to know how the target application
works? Just some generals questions. :)
Awesome tool by the way. Keep it up HD. ;)