Information Security News mailing list archives

Dumpster diving to revive a crashing NetWare server? It was acceptable in the '90s

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 05:34:09 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/27/who_me/

By Richard Speed
The Register

Who, Me? Today is Monday the 58th of March 2020. As a service to stop the days blurring into one, take a moment to enjoy a tale of NetWare, Blu Tack and a broken pencil in today's Who, Me? reader confession.

This time we return to the 1990s, and to a region of Australia that our protagonist, a person we'll call "Howard", described as "a three-horse town where everyone knew who's dating everyone else's sister".

Top marks for the use of the word "dating" there, Howard.

Howard was plugging through the end of his education and working part time at a local computer store. His job mainly entailed popping out to deal with customers bigger than those that might be merely toiling along with word processing on a Windows 3.11 box.

His confession starts at what he told us was "a decent-sized financial institution" having trouble with NetWare 3.11. The system in question had to log (for legal reasons) card transactions that had been sent to an AS/400 for batch processing. While IBM's metal kept chugging along, at some point between 2 and 6am the NetWare server would lock solid.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/