Information Security News mailing list archives

UK Law Enforcement Data Put at Risk in "Highly Sophisticated" Eurofins Scientific Attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:45:28 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cbronline.com/news/eurofins-scientific-hacked

By Ed Targett
Editor
Computer Business Review
24th June 2019

"The impact of this attack on our financial results may unfortunately be material"

A "highly sophisticated" ransomware attack on Luxembourg-based Eurofins Scientific -- which provides forensic and scientific services to a range of UK law enforcement agencies – put sensitive data at risk, in a breach that has brought in global agencies including the UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC).

The attack on Eurofins Scientific during the weekend of June 1, 2019, involved a "a new malware variant which was initially non-detectable by the anti-malware screen of our leading global IT security services provider at the time of the attack" the company said in a June 10 statement; since updated to reflect recovery efforts.

Eurofins Scientific employs over 45,000 staff in more than 800 laboratories across 47 countries. It conducts over 150 million tests using a portfolio of 200,000-plus analytical methods for private and public sector customers annually.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/