Information Security News mailing list archives

Small Contractors Struggle to Meet Cyber Security Standards, Pentagon Finds

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 08:23:32 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2019/12/small-contractors-struggle-meet-new-cyber-security-standards-pentagon-finds/161625/

By Marcus Weisgerber
Defense One
December 2, 2019

Even large companies aren’t doing as well as they think they are, the assistant acquisition chief said Monday.

Small companies are struggling to meet the Pentagon’s newish network security rules, and even larger contractors aren’t doing as well as they think they are, a recent department study has found.

“For the most part, the big companies do very well,” Kevin Fahey, assistant defense secretary for acquisition, told reporters at the Pentagon on Monday. “But in no case do they meet everything that they thought they met.”

For one thing, big companies tend to give their smaller subcontractors a lot of data they don’t need, which then becomes vulnerable to foreign hackers.

“The biggest part of our training and the problem is that our adversaries don’t try to come in through the big companies, they come in through the fifth-, sixth-tier,” Fahey said. “If you’re flowing down information they don’t need, then that’s bad. That’s where we’re seeing our biggest problem.”

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/