Information Security News mailing list archives

Hacked, scammed and on your own: navigating cryptocurrency 'wild west'

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 05:47:46 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currency-crime/hacked-scammed-and-on-your-own-navigating-cryptocurrency-wild-west-idUSKCN1MS0F7

By Gertrude Chavez-Dreyfuss
Cyber Risk
Reuters.com
October 18, 2018

NEW YORK (Reuters) - When Peggy and Marco Lachmann-Anke learned in January that hackers cracked a 40-character password and cleaned out their cryptocurrency wallet, they did not go to the police or alert the tokens’ issuer, the Berlin-based technology group IOTA.

They bought more coins.

The Cyprus-based German couple, who describe themselves as financial educators, figured they had no chance of recovering the coins and it was not even clear who might take up their case. Yet they took the roughly $14,000 loss in stride - something that comes with the territory when one bets on a new, exciting technology in a yet unregulated market.

"We really believe in cryptocurrencies. We have studied this for about a year before investing, so we are aware of the risks," Peggy Lachmann-Anke said. "There was nothing we could do."

Far from unusual, the episode is emblematic for a market where few rules apply and where investors' faith in the blockchain technology goes hand in hand with the belief that it also helps criminals cover their tracks so well that trying to catch them is a fool's errand.

Patrick Wyman, FBI supervisory special agent at the financial crimes section of the agency's anti-money laundering unit acknowledges cryptocurrencies pose some unique challenges.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/