Information Security News mailing list archives

Canadian banks hire 'ethical hackers' to improve and test cybersecurity

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 07:44:57 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-banks-cybersecurity-1.4916219

The Canadian Press
Nov 22, 2018

Hackers are targeting Toronto-Dominion Bank's internal systems at all hours using cutting-edge techniques, but the bank's head of cybersecurity isn't losing sleep over them -- they work for him, after all.

The bank established late last year an in-house "red team" of ethical hackers -- cybersecurity professionals who attempt to hack a computer network to test or evaluate its security on the owners' behalf -- who conduct live attacks against its own networks continuously, said Alex Lovinger, TD Bank's vice-president of cyber threat management.

"We're doing it exactly how our adversaries would do it ... So if we find a weakness or something like that, we can close it or address it before a real attacker," he said.

Canada's biggest banks are fortifying their defences by hiring their own ethical hackers to test their systems as the frequency and sophistication of cybercrime increases.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/