Information Security News mailing list archives

Plan to Dumb-Down the Power Grid In Name of Cybersecurity Passes Senate

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:19:04 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2018/12/plan-dumb-down-power-grid-name-cybersecurity-passes-senate/153719/

By Aaron Boyd
Senior Editor
Nextgov
December 20, 2018

A push to secure the nation's electric power grid from cyberattacks by introducing analog stopgaps and redundancies passed the Senate late Wednesday.

The Securing Energy Infrastructure Act was introduced last year by Sens. Angus King, I-Maine, and Jim Risch, R-Idaho, and approved by the Energy and Natural Resources Committee in March. The bill requires the Energy secretary to establish a two-year pilot program to look at analog, nondigital and physical systems that can be incorporated into the power grid to mitigate the potential effects of a cyberattack -- what its authors have called a "retro" approach.

The genesis of the bill came after a 2015 cyberattack in Ukraine took down a significant portion of the country’s energy grid. Operators were able to get the systems back online relatively quickly using human-powered backups.

"For years we've seen the danger of cyberattacks grow as bad actors pursue larger and more sophisticated incursions on our vital systems, but the federal government's response has not matched the severity of these threats," King said in a statement after the Senate vote. "This commonsense, bipartisan bill is an important step in the right direction, and will help protect America's critical infrastructure from devastating attacks before they happen."

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/