Information Security News mailing list archives

The Hacked Data Broker? Be Very Afraid

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 14:48:34 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-hacked-data-broker-be-very-afraid-1441684860

By CHRISTOPHER MIMS
The Wall Street Journal
Sept. 8, 2015

Many security and privacy researchers expect a cyber-breach event that will make the hack of infidelity site Ashley Madison look like a footnote by comparison. It could affect not just people seeking extramarital affairs, but everyone in America.

Even more daunting, it could be under way already, and we don’t even know it, say computer security experts.

It’s difficult to pick the worst-case scenario for this breach, as each could be devastating in a different way. It might involve the revealing of everything from shopping habits to the complete Web browsing histories of many Americans. It could put national security in jeopardy by giving hackers the ability to create spear-phishing attacks—in which people are tricked into compromising their computers via emails from businesses that look legitimate—containing so much personal detail that even the most paranoid of government employees or contractors could be fooled.

These security experts say we have unwittingly built the most perfect online surveillance system ever contemplated—for bad guys.

[...]
--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.