Information Security News mailing list archives

China Allegedly Hacked Top Former FBI Lawyer

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 09:15:22 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.newsweek.com/china-hackers-fbi-marion-bowman-367451

By Jeff Stein
Newsweek.com
8/31/15

Marion "Spike" Bowman, a top former FBI lawyer and U.S. counterintelligence official who heads an influential organization of retired American spies, says a hacker from China penetrated his home computer, beginning with an innocent-looking email last spring.

"It was an email supposedly from a woman in China, and I exchanged correspondence with her a couple of times," says Bowman, who was deputy general counsel to three FBI directors between 1995 and 2006. "She sent me a document that a friend of hers had supposedly written, in English, and wanted my opinion on it," he tells Newsweek. She also sent him her picture.

"I never got around to replying, so I never heard from her again," says Bowman, who went on to become deputy director of the National Counterintelligence Executive, which is tasked with developing policies to thwart foreign spies and terrorists.

But then, a week ago, he says, he got another message from China via his email account at George Washington University, where he has lectured on national security law since 2003.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.