Information Security News mailing list archives

Twitter AnomalyDetection tool goes open source

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 09:00:40 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/twitter-anomalydetection-tool-goes-open-source/

By Charlie Osborne
Zero Day
ZDNet News
January 7, 2015

Twitter has opened up suspicious activity tracker AnomalyDetection to developers.

The social media giant said on Tuesday the tool, dubbed AnomalyDetection, is used by the firm's team to detect unusual traffic events including traffic spikes and surges, as well as the presence of spam bots. In the world of Big Data, such spikes on a company's networks can negatively impact service by flooding Internet lanes, causing denial-of-service problems and website crashes, as well as irritating users on an individual level -- if spam levels are not kept under control, for example.

AnomalyDetection, an open-source R package which automatically detects anomalies, is used by Twitter to scan for spikes in traffic. While traffic surges can be legitimate and the result of events such as Christmas Eve and New Year's Day -- as well as breaking news events or viral stories -- the tool can also find bots, spammers and problems in system metrics.

"We're open-sourcing AnomalyDetection because we'd like the public community to evolve the package and learn from it as we have," Twitter says.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.