Information Security News mailing list archives

The People Who Risk Jail to Maintain the Tor Network

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:48:27 +0000 (UTC)

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-operators

BY JOSEPH COX
Motherboard.vice.com
April 27, 2015

Richard* had a long drive ahead of him. About an hour earlier, at 5:30 AM, his wife Lisa* had phoned.

“The house is filled up,” she said in a calm but audibly tense voice. Richard, having just woken up and now trying to make sense of the call, thought there must have been another water leak in the basement.

Instead, his wife told him, the house was full of FBI agents and they wanted to talk to Richard.

“Okay, I’m on my way,” Richard said. He threw on some clothes, grabbed his laptop and phone as requested by the FBI, and stepped out into the night. The interstate drive from Milwaukee, where he was working as a software engineer, back to his home in Indianapolis would take a good five hours, more than enough time to figure out what this was all about.

It was something to do with computers, Lisa had said. The only thing Richard thought may be linked to that was his Tor exit node.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.