Information Security News mailing list archives

I-Team: 'Heartbleed' a confusing security threat

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 08:04:09 +0000 (UTC)

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=9526738

[Jason isn't related to me, and fair warning, I know this story is bad, but its one of those news articles I had to share on how not to report on a technology story. -- WK]

By Jason Knowles
WLS.com
@KnowlesABC7
May 04, 2014

April 29, 2014 (WLS) -- The ABC7 I-Team is learning more about "heartbleed" and how you can be a victim without even knowing it.

The popular software used to protect your personal information has been compromised, but that threat is confusing some people.

This not something you should blow off.

Technology experts say that "heartbleed" is widespread and hit 66 percent of all websites over the past two years.
So the I-Team wanted to know what people are doing to stop the bleeding.

Heartbleed. The term comes from the communication between two so-called "hearts" on a server which verify your security as you shop, check e-mails and bank statements. There is now a backdoor break-in between those hearts, and it's bleeding.

"This is a very big vulnerability," said John Miller, Trustwave.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/