Information Security News mailing list archives

Iranian hackers becoming more aggressive

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 07:48:09 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.tradearabia.com/news/IT_257994.html

Trade Arabia

Iranian hackers have become increasingly aggressive and sophisticated, moving from disrupting and defacing US websites to engaging in cyber espionage, security experts say.

According to Silicon Valley-based cybersecurity company FireEye, a group called the Ajax Security Team has become the first Iranian hacking group known to use custom-built malicious software to launch espionage campaigns.

Ajax is behind an ongoing series of attacks on US defense companies and has also targeted Iranians who are trying to circumvent Tehran's Internet censorship efforts, FireEye said in a report to be published on Tuesday.

Many security experts have said that Iran is behind a series of denial-of-service attacks that have disrupted the online banking operations of major US banks over the past few years.

"I've grown to fear a nation state that would never go toe-to-toe with us in conventional combat that now suddenly finds they can arrest our attention with cyber attacks," Michael Hayden, former director of the CIA and the National Security Agency, told the Reuters Cybersecurity Summit on Monday.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/