Information Security News mailing list archives

Secret Shin Bet Unit at The Front Lines of Israel's Cyber-War

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 06:05:08 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/179925

By Tova Dvorin
Arutz Sheva
4/25/2014

Several weeks ago, a vigilante by the name of "Buddhax" made waves when he exposed the true faces - and names and passwords - of several anti-Israel hackers who participated in the #OpIsrael project to launch a cyber-attack against Israel.

Now, nearly one month later, Channel 2 revealed Friday the existence of another party responsible for keeping Israel's cyberspace safe: a secret unit of the Israeli Security Agency (ISA), or Shin Bet.

Tens of hackers work in S-74, the codename for the Shin Bet unit which protects Israeli cyberspace. For days, they will cluster around their computers, tracking the suspicious movements of "Anonymous" hacktivists around the world. Then, just moments before a hack will disrupt a system, they will strike - without anyone even knowing the Shin Bet was involved.

"We have prepared well in advance, we follow networks around the world closely and collect intelligence through HUMINT and SIGINT [human intelligence and signals intelligence, respectively - ed.]," Alon, an S-74 member, revealed to the daily Friday.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/