Information Security News mailing list archives

Sam and His (not so) Crazy Ramblings

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:29:20 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.haftofthespear.com/sam-and-his-not-so-crazy-ramblings/

By Michael Tanji
Haft of the Spear
October 24, 2013

If you haven’t already done so, start here [1].

Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Sam and I don’t go way back, but he’s easily the most intellectual and yet accessible thinker on these sorts of issues, especially as they interact with other disciplines. While he can’t draw from decades of experience behind closed doors, you’d never know it based on his grasp of the issues.

Having said that, there are some things that only a grizzled old veteran of the intelligence wars -- actual and bureaucratic -- can shed light on, hence the following response...

1) NSA will be half the size it is today.

Why I think he’s wrong.

It takes a LOT to reduce the size of a federal agency; even more so an intelligence agency. I’ve been in the IC through fat times and lean, cold war, hot wars, peace dividend and war on terror and I’ve never seen an agency shrink in any significant way. It might not grow as fast as expected, it might shrink somewhat through natural attrition, but to say “half the size” is basically nonsense from a historical perspective.

Where I think he might be on to something.

[1] http://selil.com/archives/4553

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.