Information Security News mailing list archives

Network Solutions Recovers After DDoS Attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 06:13:00 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/network-solutions-recovers-after-ddos-at/240158685

By Mathew J. Schwartz
InformationWeek.com
July 22, 2013

Network Solutions said it's fully mitigated a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack that compromised some services last week, and that attack volumes against the company had returned to normal.

"We experience DDoS attacks almost daily, but our automatic mitigation protocols usually handle the attacks without any impact to our customers," said John Herbkersman, a spokesman for Network Solutions' parent company, Web.com, via email. Network Solutions manages more than more than 6.6 million domains, provides hosting services, registers domain names and also sells SSL certificates, among other services.

But Monday, some customers reported still experiencing domain name server (DNS) and website updating difficulties that dated to the start of the DDoS attacks. The company, however, disputed those claims. "Some customers may be experiencing issues, but they are not related to last week's DDoS attack," said Herbkersman.

The DDoS attacks began last week, with Network Solutions at first reporting that "some Network Solutions hosting customers are reporting latency issues," according to a "notice to customers who are experiencing hosting issues" posted to the company's website on Tuesday, July 16. "Our technology team is aware of the problem, and they're working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience," it said.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your budget!
Post a Job! $99 for 31 days