Information Security News mailing list archives

Coded WWII Message Found on Pigeon Remains

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:32:02 -0600 (CST)

http://news.discovery.com/history/coded-message-pigeon-121105.html

Analysis by Rossella Lorenzi
Discovery News
Nov 5, 2012

British intelligence agents are working on deciphering a coded message that has remained a secret for nearly 70 years -- attached to the leg of a hero World War II carrier pigeon.

Found in the chimney of 17th-century home in Bletchingley, Surrey, the bird's skeleton was found in 1982 when the home's current owner David Martin decided to restore the fireplace.

"I started finding bits of a dead pigeon. We thought it might be a racing pigeon until we spotted a red capsule," Martin told reporters.

The small red cylinder contained a mysterious cigarette paper-sized encrypted message.

Unseen for three decades, the message "is deemed so sensitive, that codebreakers at GCHQ (Government Communications Headquarters) are now frantically trying to decipher it," Bletchley Park, a center where during World War Two top secret codebreaking work was carried out on behalf of the Allies, said in a news release.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org