Information Security News mailing list archives

Phishing Attack Hits Oak Ridge National Laboratory

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 03:46:03 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/229402048

By Elizabeth Montalbano
InformationWeek
April 21, 2011

The Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory is
investigating a sophisticated phishing attack that forced it to shut
down email and Internet access last week.

As of Thursday, external email and Internet service was still not back
online at the lab, though employees were once again allowed use of their
smartphones, Barbara Penland, a lab spokeswoman, said in an interview.
She said the lab expects to restore Internet service and access to
external email sometime next week.

The lab -- which houses some of the world's most powerful supercomputers
and stores classified government data--was hit with a phishing attack on
April 7 that was designed specifically to remove information from the
network.

"We ended up with an excess of 570 of those emails coming in to
different people and we had some folks who clicked on the email," she
said. "One or two of them managed to get through into the system."

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/