Information Security News mailing list archives

What it's like to be a woman in a mostly male industry

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 03:14:46 -0600 (CST)

http://www.csoonline.com/article/641615/what-it-s-like-to-be-a-woman-in-a-mostly-male-industry

By Bill Brenner
Senior Editor
CSO
December 01, 2010

In the second decade of the 21st Century, it's easy to think that career
success no longer hinges on gender and race. But Marisa Fagan knows what
it's like to be a woman in the security industry, and it's not the
utopia of equality some people might expect.

To succeed in security, Fagan says she's had to make some tough choices
that men are rarely faced with. For a good example of this, she points
to a recent column in the Cranky Product Manager blog about women having
to deal with a "frat-house culture."

"The article makes the point that technology jobs require intensely long
hours and it's just more likely that a man can maintain that schedule,
and therefore a manager wants to hire more men," Fagan says.

"I personally feel the effects of this dilemma every day as I choose
work or travel or conferences over building more aspects of family life.
Everyone must make sacrifices to get ahead. I won't venture to say why
more men choose this particular sacrifice than women."

She has also discovered, to her discomfort, that the security
conferences she attends are overwhelmingly dominated by men.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/