Information Security News mailing list archives

McAfee Says Security Industry Failing On Cybercrime

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 01:00:49 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=226600352

By Mathew J. Schwartz
InformationWeek
August 10, 2010

Antivirus vendor McAfee has called on security researchers and the
security industry at large to go on the offensive against criminals and
pursue "a more proactive strategy for fighting cybercrime."

"Cybercriminals prosper because they have very little reason to fear the
consequences," said Jeff Green, senior VP of McAfee Labs, in a
statement. "As security experts, it's time to take a hard look at what
we do, how we do it, and what our ultimate goals are."

In the arms race against online criminals, and their increasingly
sophisticated yet inexpensive crimeware, malware, and spam-generating
capabilities, arguably the good guys are losing. "Every time we release
a new statistic about the rise in malware, it points to our failure as
an industry," said Green.

What can be done? For starters, a new report from McAfee recommends
making it riskier for criminals to operate online, noting that "like any
enterprise business model, the psychology of organized cybercrime
follows the three major factors: risk, effort, and reward."

[...]

--
Visit InfoSec News!
http://www.infosecnews.org/