Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Ohio Elections Official Calls Machines Flawed

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:21:27 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Dave Dittrich <dittrich (at) u.washington.edu>

InfoSec News wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/us/15ohio.html

By Bob Driehaus
The New York Times
December 15, 2007

CINCINNATI - All five voting systems used in Ohio ...have critical
flaws...

At polling stations, teams working on the study were able to pick
locks to access memory cards and use hand-held devices to plug false
vote counts into machines. At boards of election, they were able to
introduce malignant software into servers.

Ms. Brunner proposed replacing all of the states voting machines,
including the touch-screen ones used in more than 50 of Ohios 88
counties.

So when will we see a call for a refund on the millions of dollars spent
on those highly flawed systems after the 2000 election? Or at minimum a
legislatively mandated discount that will cap the profits on the next
generation?

When there is a shortage of funds available for computer security R&D,
its a shame to see orders of magnitude more money spent on systems that
would have benefited from the R&D had that been done first, not after
the problems are discovered.

Do we always have to do things backwards? Sigh...

--
Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich (at) u.washington.edu         The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/