Information Security News mailing list archives

Man makes toaster hack computer

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 02:06:11 -0600 (CST)

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Man-makes-toaster-hack-computer/249695/

By Chandan Haygunde
December 13, 2007

Pune - Can you imagine a toaster hacking a computer? That’s true. In
fact any kitchen appliance can be used for attacking your computer
system, said Dror Shalev, a hacker from Israel, during the international
convention of hackers ‘Clubhack 2007’ held recently.

In his demonstration at the convention, Shalev left the audience amazed
by actually hacking a computer with a toaster. Shalev, who is a security
expert at Check Point Software Technologies in Israel, was one of the
foreign speakers at the international convention.

He said that any home device could be connected with a software
prototype to hack a computer. “I read a senior scientist from Google
saying there was no need to be afraid of a toaster at home,” Shalev told
The Indian Express. “But as a hacker I came up with a toaster that could
actually hack a computer. I call it a ‘Crazy Toaster’.”

Simplifying the functions of ‘Crazy Toaster,’ Shavel said he developed a
software and networked it with the toaster.

“As soon as the toaster is plugged, the software is activated before it
breaks into the user’s computer system. The same software prototype can
be networked with any home appliance for stealing the web secrets,” he
said. “With wireless technology available, there is no need for
connecting the appliance with the computer.”

Shalev said he just wanted to convey that one couldn’t blindly trust
“anything” in the world of internet. “As the usage of computers and
internet goes up, we will need to be cautious about every object in our
surroundings,” he said, suggesting people purchase home appliances of
branded companies. “If an appliance or home device comes as a gift,
accept it only if it is from someone you trust.”

Shalev also said people should believe in ethical hackers like him, who
were doing constructive work for security firms, and doing work just for
the love of programming and not for money. “Hackers play a crucial role
in developing a good product and save millions of dollars by ensuring
that precious databases and information are not compromised.”

Appreciating the initiative taken by the Indian hackers to organise
Clubhack, he said such conventions should be arranged on regular basis.
“The world is turning into a global village. But this village is not
secure in terms of the cyber crimes,” he said. “It is necessary for
ethical hackers across the globe to converge and share knowledge.”

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/