Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Cyber Fears on Fed's Web Plan

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:53:17 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Eric Hacker <isn () erichacker com>

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:28:44 -0500 (CDT), InfoSec News wrote:
http://www.nypost.com/business/18671.htm

With little fanfare, the Federal Reserve will begin transferring the
nation's money supply over an Internet-based system this month - a
move critics say could open the U.S.'s banking system to cyber
threats.

Patti Lorenzen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Reserve, said the
agency is taking every precaution.

"Of course, we will not discuss the specifics of our security
measures for obvious reasons," she said.

Hmmm. Are the reason's obvious because we are dealing with a
bureaucratic government agency that still has the bassackwards idea
that security through obscurity works?

Most security engineering is a compromise between cost and risk, and
maybe it is unwise to go into detail about those compromises (maybe
not). Regular Multi-million dollar transactions, like electronic
voting, do not fall into that category. This should be a rock solid as
AES and go through just as much public review.

Eric Hacker

Open Source Vulnerability Database (OSVDB) Everything is Vulnerable - http://www.osvdb.org/