Information Security News mailing list archives

Info assurance should include sharing, general says

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 03:17:01 -0600 (CST)

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/1103/web-ia-11-04-03.asp

By Matthew French
Nov. 4, 2003

HONOLULU -- The Defense Department is focusing its information
assurance efforts too much on protection and not enough on sharing and
availability, according to a senior official at U.S. Pacific Command.

Speaking this week at the AFCEA Asia-Pacific 2003 conference, Air
Force Lt. Gen. Robert Dierker, deputy commander of PACOM, said the
term information assurance usually conjures images of information
security or protection. But just as important, he said, is equal
emphasis on information distribution and sharing.

"One big dilemma we face every day is, how do we share information
with our allies, coalition partners and other agency partners while
protecting it from our adversaries?" Dierker said. "Our failure to
share information is almost as problematic as the consequences of our
adversaries' interception of it."

A much better balance needs to be achieved, Dierker said. The term
assurance should mean that users "have great confidence in the
information that it is accurate, secure and accessible by those who
need it to support the mission, while still being protected from
disclosure to our enemies," he said.

Networks need to be fluid and able to adapt to rapid changes that
accompany operations worldwide, he said. There are many cases where
some allies and adversaries end up swapping roles, depending on what
the collaboration context is, he said.

"For example, a humanitarian assistance partner could very well turn
out to be a security assistance adversary," Dierker said. "Sometimes,
even among strong allies, we have information-sharing challenges. And
for that matter, sometimes even among our own services as well."

DOD officials have been working on an official information assurance
policy document for about seven months, and want to have a more
substantive plan prepared by next October.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.