Information Security News mailing list archives

Napster founder has cameo role in 'Italian Job'

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:25:46 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/6053592.htm

By Dawn C. Chmielewski
Mercury News
June 10, 2003

The irrepressible Napster is back -- and once again as culturally hip
as Mini Coopers and Mark Wahlberg-sized biceps.

Need proof? Check out the latest box-office hit, ``The Italian Job,''
in which Napster creator Shawn Fanning makes a cameo as himself.

The former bad boy of Internet song swapping fits neatly into the
remake of a 1969 thriller about a band of thieves who commit a gold
heist in Venice. Fanning is there to establish the hacker credentials
of the crew's computer genius, Lyle, who claims that he -- not Fanning
-- invented Napster.

Fanning appears in a flashback dorm-room scene, grinning as he swipes
the program from his sleeping roommate, Lyle. (That's how the service
got its name, Lyle laments, ``It's because I was napping when he stole
the idea from me!'')

It's vintage Fanning. The trademark baseball cap, the sly smirk, the
absence of words (hey, Fanning's a quiet guy who speaks most
eloquently through his computer code).

The film's producer, Donald De Line, said the filmmakers reached
Fanning last year through a single phone call to Napster. They sent
him the script and invited him to play himself. ``He said,
`absolutely,' '' De Line recalled. ``We were shocked.''

The scene was filmed last fall in a classroom of Hamilton High School
in Los Angeles, which was made up to look like a dorm room.

``He said that it was a blast,'' said De Line. ``He was extremely
polite. Very quiet. Kind of reserved. I thought, who is this kid who
is the Napster? I was surprised. I expected something brash and kind
of arrogant. He was the opposite.''

We can only guess that, after seeing his creation buffeted into
oblivion by the recording industry, Fanning relished his cinematic
comeuppance. In one scene, in which Lyle successfully hijacks the Los
Angeles Automated Traffic Surveillance and Control Operations Center,
the following message flashes across a bank of giant displays.

``You'll never shut down the real Napster.''

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.