Information Security News mailing list archives

Vmyths Hovering at Death's Door

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 02:10:32 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,59473,00.html

By Michelle Delio
July 03, 2003

One of the Web's best FUD-fighting sites may not be around much
longer.

FUD -- which stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt -- is a marketing
technique. Stir up enough FUD about some scary threat and people might
feel compelled to buy your product to protect themselves from
impending doom.

FUD about computer security abounds, both on the Web and off. One
website, Vmyths, focuses on debunking marketing-promoted rumors and
media-fueled myths about computer viruses, cyberterrorism and computer
security.

But barring a miracle of the financial sort, Vmyths, which draws
thousands of visitors a day, may soon be all but dead.

It will remain online, but won't be updated after Vmyths' founder and
prime contributor Rob Rosenberger heads off to serve a military stint
in the Persian Gulf in mid-July.

"Rob is one of those lone voices in the wilderness. I agree with about
70 percent of what he says, but I'll defend to the death, as it were,
his right to say it," said Robert Ferrell, a security consultant.

"He's definitely made an indelible impression on the anti-FUD
movement, and the loss of Vmyths will be sorely felt by those of us
who fight that fight."

Rosenberger, who has shined the bright light of sarcasm into every
dark corner of the computer security industry since 1995, believes
Vmyths' independent and contentious nature is probably what lead to
its demise.

"People don't pay for criticism and they don't pay for independence.
The problem is, who will fork over a few bucks? We slaughter a cash
cow every time we refuse to run antivirus ads."

Rosenberger refuses to accept advertisements from antivirus and
computer security firms, fearing they would compromise Vmyths'
independence. And he's been unsuccessful in finding a neutral
corporate sponsor to support the site.

Vmyths also suffers from the same problems experienced by other sites:
People are apparently unwilling to pay for information on the Web. A
recent fund-raising plea to Rosenberger's 20,000-plus mailing-list
subscribers was not successful.

"I'd pressed Rob to do a fund-raiser for some time and he finally
agreed to it," said Vmyths editor George Smith. "But Rob's distaste
for marketing himself made it a watery request that netted around a
couple hundred dollars."

"One could have earned more money in the same time standing on a
corner, dressed up like a bum, with a 'Please help the homeless'
placard."

Despite the dismal show of financial support, Vmyths is widely
respected in the security industry.

"Vmyths (is) a major voice in the struggle to bring sanity to the
Internet security industry," said Richard Forno, an independent
computer security consultant. "Rob's clever site serves as one of the
few voices of reason, sanity and reality-based analysis in a world
polluted by incessant knee-jerk, gloom-and-doom soundbyte prophecies
coming from those with the least insight into how the Information Age
actually works."

Rosenberger isn't surprised at Vmyths unsuccessful struggle to find a
sponsor. He believes that many people -- government officials,
security solution vendors and the press -- have a vested financial
interest in keeping alarmist security myths alive.

"The computer security industry is a media circus. It's filled with
clowns who want to siphon billions of dollars of counterterrorism
funds so the Keystone Cops can shield us from Osama bin Virus,"
Rosenberger said.

"Prostitute pundits stand fearlessly on the corners of New York City
and compare 'cyberterrorism' to real terrorism. They stand fearlessly
on the corners of Washington, D.C. and compare 'cyberwar' to real war.
They pull numbers out of thin air and tell whoppers with a perfectly
straight face. They want us to blame everything but them when they
fail to do what we pay them for."

Still, Rosenberger was sanguine about the site's seemingly impending
demise.

"I'm only bummed by the fact that no one at Vmyths has received a
salary in over a year," Rosenberger said.

And in typical Rosenberger fashion, he also warned that rumors of
Vmyths' death may be widely exaggerated.

Vmyths may become subscription-based, as Smith has suggested.

"Screw the dumbfounded majority," Smith said.

"The idea of Vmyths is solid: We need independent criticism in the
computer security industry," Rosenberger added. "Vmyths may simply be
ahead of its time. If so, then we might shut down certain functions
until they prove viable again.

"To quote Matrix Reloaded: There are levels of survival we are
prepared to accept."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.