Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Warchalking is theft, says Nokia

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:50:06 -0500 (CDT)

Fowarded from: jsklein <jsklein () mindspring com>

This must be a marketing piece. Notice there are no names of Nokia
staff are and only one Nokia reference. They must be selling a new
product. Sounds like Mr. James Middleton has just reproduced a Nokia
company press releases and label it as News. And you wonder why we
don't trust the press :-).

Now let's address the real issues in this article, theft of services.
The theft is the result of companies are not practicing due care for
their wireless networks. And as always, it's easer to blame a "Hacker"
then take responsibility for your actions.

If I put an Ethernet cable out the windows and connect it to my
network. Someone uses the Ethernet cable and labels it as an Ethernet
cable. You are telling me that the villain the person who use my
Ethernet and labeled it. No, it is me, for being stupid enough to put
the Ethernet out the window.

Joe Klein