Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: U.S. Government Flunks Computer Security Tests

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:59:06 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Brad Ball <bradball () bellsouth net>

One of the key weak points in getting security to have equal footing
in the war room or the boardroom is the inability to convince upper
management of the importance of configuration management. It is not
the single activity that can seal up insecurities but offers a unique
opportunity in every organization.

This opportunity is having the different pieces of the organization at
the same table at the same time to discuss IT initiatives and plans.
Security, network operations, finance, etc. are all given a chance to
pass their perspectives and concerns to senior management.

The trick of course is persuading management to support such an
approach. I would contend that the security professional able to
successfully convince their bosses to do this will be setting up a
process that (1) makes the security a shared concern (2) allows all
departments to better understand all organizational objectives and
possibly be motivated to contribute their own unique ideas that
benefit the entire process.

Having been in security for sometime myself I can empathize with
Huggins' outlook. What I have found personally is that I have evolved
over a period of time to a broader outlook .. what I will call the Fox
News approach... I report .. you decide! My commitment to secure
practices is not lessened but I have convinced more non-IT types by
simply reporting the pluses & minuses as well as the military
regulations that drive my reports. In one unit I was nicknamed Satan
because of my inflexibility on security. Was I wrong in my assessments
at the time? No but my approach didn't fit the organization.

The attempt to pass a cyber security initiative through the Arizona
legislature last year is the first of many that eventually will
convince corporate America that sharing the efforts of their security
departments strengthens them rather than weakens them. That initiative
was extremely innovative in its assertion that only businesses that
wanted to participate had to and offered no financial incentives. It
won't become another government program bloated by territorial fights
-- it is designed to be a collaborative effort between businesses and
government for the sole purpose of promoting security.

Sorry for long post .. my 2cents