Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Lights' malfunction at airport attributed to computer glitch

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 06:05:57 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Jason Scott <jscott () textfiles com>

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, InfoSec News wrote:

Forwarded from: Chris Wysopal <cwysopal () atstake com>

In March 1997 a teenager hacking a phone switch that was used by
Worcester Airport unwittingly cut off the airport from the phone
system.  This outage cut off the tower from the main radio
transmitter and disabled the controls to the runway lights.

As I understand it (from interviews I conducted for the documentary)
he was aware what it was doing, but apparently didn't believe it
really did what it said it did. He got caught because he called back
to try again.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.