Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Man indicted in alleged hacking of county's system

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 02:30:15 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Ejovi Nuwere <ejovi () ejovi net>

Looks like the first realistic damage cost ever published. The $5,000
was probably consulting time.

I wonder if this is how cyber terrorist will destroy America? Breaking
into our counties wireless infrastructure. Al Queda is probably war
driving America as we speak.

ejovi nuwere
http://www.ejovi.net
http://www.hackercracker.net

Puffer is accused of accessing the system March 8, costing the county
$5,000 to clean up after the alleged breach.

Puffer, a computer security analyst who worked briefly for the
county's technology department in 1999, could get five years in prison
and a $250,000 fine on each count if he's convicted. Puffer declined
to comment Wednesday and referred questions to his attorney, who was
not available.

District Clerk Charles Bacarisse said no files were compromised, but
the county had to shut down the wireless system about a month after it
was set up.

The county, he said, had intended to use the wireless service to
connect personal computers used by court clerks at the Civil Courts
Building, 301 Fannin, to their network. The old courthouse can no
longer sustain more computer lines, he said.

"I'm hopeful we can determine an appropriate way to secure that system
well enough to use wireless service," Bacarisse said.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.