Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - July 22nd 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:05:07 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  July 22nd, 2002                              Volume 3, Number 29n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Linux Security
Modules: General Security Support for the Linux Kernel," "Securing the
Mail: Lock Spam and Viruses Out of Sendmail," and "Intrusion Detection:
Knowing when Someone is Knocking on your Door."

** Guardian Digital Combats Proprietary Software Licensing Deadline **

Guardian Digital, Inc., the first full-service open source Internet server
security company, has announced a special incentive program designed to
provide companies with an alternative to Windows-based servers and
applications as the July 31st deadline for Microsoft's new licensing
program approaches.

Receive up to 30% off the award-winning EnGarde Secure Linux.  Act Today!

--> http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde3

FEATURE: Assessing Internet Security Risk, Part Two: an Internet
Assessment Methodology

This article is the second in a series that is designed to help readers to
assess the risk that their Internet-connected systems are exposed to. In
the first installment, we established the reasons for doing a technical
risk assessment. In this installment, we'll start discussing the
methodology that we follow in performing this kind of assessment.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-114.html

Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
an e-mail to security-discuss-request () linuxsecurity com with "subscribe"
as the subject.

Find technical and managerial positions available worldwide.  Visit the
LinuxSecurity.com Career Center: http://careers.linuxsecurity.com

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Don't ignore Linux, Unix GUI holes
July 19th, 2002

Late last week, the CERT Coordination Center at Pittsburgh-based Carnegie
Mellon University released an advisory about two vulnerabilities in CDE
(Common Desktop Environment) ToolTalk, a common GUI that runs on a host of
Linux and Unix flavors.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5363.html

* Help Net Security: Linux Security Modules: General Security Support
for the Linux Kernel
July 18th, 2002

"The access control mechanisms of existing mainstream operating systems
are inadequate to provide strong system security. Enhanced access control
mechanisms have failed to win acceptance into mainstream operating systems
due in part to a lack of consensus within the security community on the
right solution.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5356.html

* Secret password to a headache
July 17th, 2002

Modern consumers are suffering "password burnout" because they have to
remember so many different codes and number combinations, according to a
new report.  PIN numbers and passwords are now used every day for the
likes of cash machines, burglar alarms, mobile phones, car radios, taxi
services, cable TV and telephone banking.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5345.html

* Report: Linux hack attacks on the rise
July 16th, 2002

Hackers are increasingly targeting Web servers based on the Linux
operating system, while the number of successful attacks on Windows
systems decreases, according to a new report from U.K. system integrator
Mi2g.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-5338.html

* Securely Installing Linux
July 15th, 2002

It's important to be aware that when you're installing Linux, you're
installing a powerful server operating system. As a home user, you
probably won't use much of what's installed by default, and anything you
don't use is a security risk you don't have to take.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5324.html

* Securing the Mail: Lock Spam and Viruses Out of Sendmail
July 15th, 2002

Repeat after me: "Spam and viruses bad. Locked down mail servers good.
Leaving relaying open bad. Locked down mail servers good. Leaving virus
avoidance for the end user to deal with bad.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-5322.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Audit Your LAN Before the Bad Guys Do with nmap
July 18th, 2002

nmap is the most powerful, most flexible network exploration tool and
security scanner. It's the tool of choice for auditing your network for
vulnerabilities. Search for the same weaknesses intruders are looking for.
nmap's slogan is "audit your network before the bad guys do."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5357.html

* Justifying the Expense of IDS, Part One: An Overview of ROIs for
IDS
July 18th, 2002

A positive return on investment (ROI) of intrusion detection systems (IDS)
is dependent upon an organization's deployment strategy and how well the
successful implementation and management of the technology helps the
organization achieve the tactical and strategic objectives it has
established.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5359.html

* Security Scanning is not Risk Analysis
July 16th, 2002

Many information technology (IT) decision makers assume that performing a
security vulnerability assessment is the same thing as risk analysis.
However, these two processes are very different. Performing a security
vulnerability assessment helps you determine what the existing holes and
vulnerabilities are in your systems and networks at single moment in time.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5336.html

* Use Snort for Lightweight Intrusion Detection
July 15th, 2002

Designed to fill the gap left by expensive, heavy-duty network intrusion
detection systems, Snort is a free, cross-platform packet sniffer, logger,
and intrusion detector for monitoring smaller TCP/IP networks. It runs on
Linux/UNIX and Win32 systems. It takes mere minutes to install and start
using it.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5323.html

* Intrusion Detection: Knowing when Someone is Knocking on your Door
July 15th, 2002

Your network is being scanned for vulnerabilities. This may happen only
once a month or twice a day, regardless, there are people out there
probing your network and systems for weaknesses.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5328.html

+------------------------+
|  Cryptography:         |
+------------------------+

* Encryption Market Heats Up But PGP Still on Ice
July 19th, 2002

Demand is growing for desktop and wireless encryption but Network
Associates (NAI) says it has no plans to resurrect its Pretty Good Privacy
(PGP) range, despite requests from users. The IT security firm announced
it was suspending the development of its PGP series of products last
October.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5362.html

* Team demos 'first quantum crypto prototype machine'
July 18th, 2002

Boffins have moved one step closer to a practical implementation of the
Holy Grail of encryption - quantum cryptography - by exchanging keys
across a 67km fibre optic network. Until recently, the idea of quantum key
distribution has been tested only in the physics laboratory.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-5349.html

* Crypto-Gram July 2002
July 16th, 2002

Crypto-Gram is a free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses,
insights, and commentaries on computer security and cryptography. This
month Embedded Control Systems and Security, Cryptico's in the Doghouse,
and comments on Microsoft's Palladium system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5341.html

+------------------------+
|  General:              |
+------------------------+

* Study: Web Security Spending To Surge
July 19th, 2002

Spending on Web security efforts is expected to triple in the next four
years, according to a new report released by research firm IDC. The report
noted that it is not uncommon for Web sites to add so much new code daily
that operators are unable to maintain patches or fix holes in systems.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5365.html

* Survey: Are Security Professionals Wasting their Time?
July 18th, 2002

Today one of the most heard complaints among security professionals is
that there just isnt enough time to stay current on the latest,
increasingly sophisticated threats to their organizations or to test and
install patches and fixes for the record number of security
vulnerabilities in vendor software this year.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-5353.html

* IT security spending disappoints
July 17th, 2002

Investors who had hoped that increased security concerns after Sept. 11
would yield an immediate bonanza in the information security sector have
been sorely disappointed, according to two new analyses.  The reports come
as high-tech companies in the middle of a painful contraction eagerly seek
out security-related work, particularly if it involves government
contracts.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-5344.html